Winning Corporate Team Receives $500 to Charity of Their Choice!
Healthy Competition Amongst Businesses, Co-Workers, and Friends!
Every Relay Member Receives a Finisher’s Medal!
2023 Race Swag
Our 2023 Race Swag is here! Runners receive a Bismarck Marathon-themed runner shirt and runner’s gloves!
The following races receive ALL Marathon race swag:
- MDU Resources Group Inc. Full Marathon
- Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Half Marathon
- Sanford Health 10K
The following races will receive some race swag:
- BNSF Railway Marathon Relay
- Scheels 5K
2023 Finisher’s Medals
After you finish a race at the Bismarck Marathon, presented by MDU Resources Group Inc., you’ll receive a custom finisher’s medal!
Every medal is customized with the 2023 Bismarck Marathon logo, the date, and an empty space for you to remember your new PR time on our fast, flat, and fully paved course!
Marathon Relay Registration
- Prices increase by $10 each month until race day.
- July 1: $225
- August 1: $235
- September 1: $245
- Race Day (September 16, 2023): $255
We’ve updated our route for the 2023 Bismarck Marathon to start and finish at the North Dakota State Capital Grounds!
Our full marathon route (same as marathon relay) will continue to feature a fast and flat, fully paved course with breathtaking scenery along the Missouri River!
New for 2023: The race starts and finished right in front of the North Dakota State Capital Building, making for a picture-perfect finish. Plus, parts of the route now run through historic downtown Bismarck neighborhoods.
Saturday, September 16 – Race Day Schedule
- 7:00am – Announcements begin
- 7:10am – Call for runners
- 7:20am – Last comments
- 7:25am – National Anthem
- 7:30am – Marathon, Half Marathon, Marathon Relay, 10K start
- 9:30am – 10K Awards
- 10:30am – Half Marathon Awards
- 1:30pm – Marathon Awards
- 2pm – Course closes
This schedule is subject to change. The Bismarck Marathon will never change the schedule without notifying its registrants.
The following times are the pace times for the marathon: 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15, and 4:30.
The following times are the paces times for the half marathon: 1:40, 1:50, 2:00, 2:15, 2:30, 2:45.
Send this to your teammates
- It can be a challenge for relay teams who do not know their team members and thus have difficulty finding their teammate when handing-off. It is important that teams communicate with each other to ensure everyone on the team knows who they will be handing off to during the event.
- Have your team wear something unique or a distinctive color to help them stick out from the crowd.
- It is your team’s responsibility to make sure each team member is at the exchange zone in plenty of time to make the hand-off of the ankle strap with the timing chip.
- 3.2 mi.– Corner of Pirates Loop SE and Marina Road (at the bottom of the bridge)
- 6 mi. – Riverwood Golf Course Parking Lot (at mile 9.2)
- 6.1 mi. – Santa Maria Lane (frontage road, at mile 15.3)
- 5.6 mi. – Walt Neuen’s Memorial Horse Park (at mile 20.9)
- 5.3 mi. – Finish line (ND State Capitol Grounds)
* Relay exchange zone 4 participants SHOULD NOT park in the Nishu Bowmen Club Archery parking lot*
Elevation maps, including the location of aid stations, will be released when available before the race. The Bismarck Marathon has a new route for 2023, starting at the North Dakota State Capital Grounds.
Stay tuned for more information about the updated elevation profile of the race and more.
Aid stations are located every 1 to 2 miles with water and Powerade.
At the finish line, we also have a recovery tent with Sanford athletic trainers and our MDU power-up station with bananas, chocolate milk, and other snacks to refuel.
An ambulance is also on-site at the event.
Marathon Relay Awards:
- Corporate Relay Winner: $500 to the charity of their choice, a traveling Bismarck Marathon trophy, and (5) Bismarck Marathon blankets
- Additional Categories of Relay Teams: 1st, 2nd, 3rd place awards, blankets for each member of the team
- All Male
- All Female
- Masters (40+)
The Bismarck Marathon has a new route for the 2023 race in September! Parking at the North Dakota State Capital Grounds is limited and will fill up quickly on race day.
The Bismarck Marathon and officials from the North Dakota State Capital are working together to create the best parking experience for all runners on race day.
Parking will not be allowed along the main loop of the Capital Grounds to prioritize runner safety.
Race Packet Pick-up
All runners are sure to check-in, pick up their race bib & swag at the Bismarck Scheels prior to attending the race. There are two different Packet Pick-up opportunities for runners.
Thursday, Sept. 14th from 6 PM – 9 PM
Friday, Sept. 15th from 10 AM – 9 PM
Packet pick-up is typically located in the East wing of Scheels next to Gina’s Cafe and Kirkwood Mall.